A 1996 bond authorized the renovation and updating of the entire Multnomah County Library System, beginning with the 1913 Central Library designed by A. E. Doyle. This beautifully restored building begged signage that echoed its vintage architecture while adhering to contemporary codes and ADA guidelines. Our choice of materials both evokes the Library’s turn-of-the-century style and delivers 21st-century messages. The sign standard we developed works for all 16 branches, some historic, some remodeled, some brand-new like the very contemporary Midland Branch. All branches are heavily and enthusiastically used by area readers.